January 1, 2011

Sausage gravy

Plate of sausage gravy on biscuits.
Happy New Year! I'm always surprised at how quickly each year seems to pass. 2011? Really? I'm not one for making New Year's resolutions, but I am committing to continuing to learn to cook and record the recipes and experiences. 2010 was my first full year of this blog and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm really happy when I receive a comment or have someone tell me that they tried a recipe and liked it. It makes my day!

The recipe I'm posting today has been a staple at my family's Christmas breakfast as long as I can remember. I did not make it this Christmas because I was not feeling well and had made an easy cranberry-walnut quick bread to take instead. My husband really looks forward to the sausage gravy though, so I promised him that I would make it for us another day. I decided that it would make a good New Year's breakfast, so I just made it this morning. It's a delicious treat that is full of sage flavor that really reminds you of the holidays. I'm not exactly sure where the original recipe came from for the sausage gravy. This is my slightly modified version of the recipe I got from my mother. It will serve about four people. 

Sausage gravy
12 oz. of loose breakfast sausage
1/2 medium white or yellow onion, diced
1 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper hot sauce (to taste)
olive oil for cooking

In a large pot, warm about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and onion and break apart the sausage using a fork or wooden spoon. Cook until the sausage is no longer pink and the onions are translucent. Drain any excess fat, return to the pot, and continue cooking over medium heat.

Stir in the sage and poultry seasoning. Add the flour and stir. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the milk and whisk together until all the flour is combined. Add the remaining ingredients (nutmeg through hot sauce). Continue to cook until the gravy begins to bubble and the gravy reaches your desired consistency. Keep stirring/whisking often to ensure the milk does not scorch. Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed.

Serve hot over biscuits and/or scrambled eggs. 

Finished sausage gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!