Monday, August 7, 2017

Applesauce barley infant cereal mini muffins


I've been on a quest lately to perfect a mini muffin recipe for my one-year old twins that uses up some of our leftover opened containers of infant cereal. I guess there comes a point where all babies start to reject the baby cereal and/or being spoon-fed, and we hit ours a month or so ago. Since I'm striving to be a frugal mama and really loathe food waste, I have been looking for ways to use up what we have opened instead of throwing it away. I've made a few batches and they turned out just OK... The cereal soaks up a bunch of moisture, so you need to get a good ratio of flour to cereal and also liquid to dry ingredients. They still ate them, but I wasn't satisfied with the results until this version. Keep in mind, these aren't bakery muffins - they aren't super pretty, they are a little bumpy, and they don't rise a ton, but they are a great way to use up your baby cereal and to give your toddlers a finger food to feed themselves. I used barley cereal, which was my twins' favorite, but you should be able to sub oatmeal, rice, or multigrain versions. I give these to them whole and they are soft enough that they can easily take bites or break pieces off to eat themselves. This recipe will make approximately 22 mini muffins. I like to give them one as a snack, or a couple with some cut up fruit for an easy breakfast.


Applesauce barley infant cereal mini muffins
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 large egg
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup barley infant cereal (or other infant cereal you have on hand)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two mini muffin trays.

In a large bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar using an electric mixer or wooden spoon until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and applesauce.

Whisk together the flour through cinnamon in a medium bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined.

Spoon the mixture into the mini muffin tins filling about 2/3 of the way.

Bake for approximately 13-15 minutes, until the edges turn golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in the muffin tins.

Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container for about 3-4 days.


What was I cooking one year ago?: zucchini (mock apple) crisp
Two years ago?: green bean & red potato salad
Three years ago?: Thai-style omelets
Four?: zucchini skillet biscuit pie
Five?: chocolate zucchini bread
Six?: honey dew-cucumber-basil coolers
7?: shrimp etoufee

8 comments:

  1. I love healthy treats like this..these would make a perfect breakfast for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to believe that your twins are a year old already. These muffins look yummy. A great way to use up your baby cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need you to come to my kitchen and help me figure out how to use up some of the specialty flours I have on hand :). These muffins are just perfect! Have a great week, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious Amy, I would love these for breakfast for myself they sound healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat idea! And very creative. Heck, if your twins won't eat these, I'll take them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant that you managed to use up the cereal. I am like that with recipes that do not quite work out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound awesome! Thanks for sharing at this week's Fiesta Friday party!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!